This 18-month, full-time program leads to certification in Nuclear Medicine Technology and Computed Tomography. Combining theoretical training in principles of medical imaging with practical, hands-on clinical experience, our program will prepare students with a strong background in math, chemistry and other sciences for a career as a nuclear medicine technologist with CT experience.
Nuclear medicine is a specialized area of radiology that uses very small amounts of radioactive materials, or radiopharmaceuticals, to examine organ function and structure. You will have the opportunity to learn about routine diagnostic examinations, SPECT and PET and PET-CT imaging, radiopharmacy, in-vitro procedures, and therapeutic and theranostic applications — in one of the top diagnostic laboratories in the United States. Graduates are eligible to take national certification examinations.
You will obtain first-hand, clinical experience in nuclear medicine procedures at several of our facilities, as well as other clinical facilities throughout the Baltimore metropolitan region: The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Johns Hopkins Howard County General, Franklin Square Hospital Center, Saint Agnes Hospital, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Chesapeake Imaging, Baltimore Washington Hospital, Triad Isotopes and Anne Arundel Medical Center.
For more information, please see our catalog.
- The following prerequisite courses are required for all applicants and must be completed with a grade of C or better. In addition, the combined grade point average of all prerequisite coursework must average to 3.0 or better. Please use our spreadsheet to determine your eligibility for this program.
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I (with laboratory)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology II (with laboratory)
- College Algebra
- College Physics (with laboratory)
- College Chemistry (with laboratory)
- Medical Terminology-This course must be taken at the college level, for credit
- Oral Communication (Speech)
- Written Communication (English)
- Applicants must have a minimum of a two year Associate degree with an overall GPA of 2.5 or greater or be a graduate of a two year clinically related accredited school in Allied Health (RN, RT, RDMS, Respiratory Therapy, etc.) with appropriate certification in that clinical specialty.
- At the time of the interview, the candidate will be required to complete a computer competency test consisting of basic word processing skills and an Internet search for information.
- Be a citizen of the United States of America, or a permanent resident (hold a green card)
- Be 18 years old at the time of matriculation
- A non-refundable application fee of $40
- Two letters of recommendation using the provided form in the applications*.
- One from a college science or math instructor
- One from your present employer
- Statement of intent, in 200 words or less, stating why you are choosing a career in the health care profession and your specific career goals in medical imaging.
- Transcripts documenting all post high school education. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the agencies in the United States that performs academic credential evaluations
- If you are not completing a degree with one of our affiliated colleges or universities, you must have a minimum of an associates degree completed before the June start date of the program.
*Note: The applicants that are certified in a clinical health care specialty must request a recommendation from the Program Director of your specialty training course and a recommendation from your current employer.
- Please complete the application with required documents by December 31 prior to the matriculation year and submit to:
Johns Hopkins Schools of Medical Imaging
111 Market Place
Baltimore, MD 21202
- Johns Hopkins Schools of Medical Imaging
The Nuclear Medicine Technology program is currently accredited by Maryland Higher Education and by The Joint Review Committee on Education Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology (JRCNMT).
The JRCNMT can be contacted at 405-285-0546 or email@example.com. Their offices are located at 820 W Danforth Rd, #B1, Edmond, OK 73003.